Should I design my own website or hire a graphic designer?
Consider the importance of your website in a world that is nearly completely digital. This is not a place where the cheapest route is always the cheapest route...
Would you feel comfortable doing your own plumbing, or electrical work? Are you comfortable fixing your car after watching a YouTube tutorial? If the answer is yes then go for it and please don't let me discourage you. If however, you value the certainty that comes with an experienced and knowledgeable professional, then I recommend you hire a designer.
Many people starting their businesses are inclined to design their websites themselves to cut costs but there are a few crucial things to consider before deciding whether to do it yourself, or to hire a professional.
There are several popular websites that allow you to build your own website by providing templates you can modify for your needs. This is an attractive option because it is usually free or super cheap, and requires little design knowledge (if you stick to the template). To do it yourself you might check out websites like Wordpress, Shopify, GoDaddy, and so on.
PROS & CONS to consider when designing your own website...
- It is inexpensive.
- Can be rewarding for those that like to do things themselves.
- Free or inexpensive sites are usually bombarded with ads which is off-putting and distracting as it takes away from your brand.
- The templates offered in the Do-It-Yourself websites are used by many so you are guaranteed to have a website that looks like everybody else's.
- It is easy to get 'overly creative' and create an unattractive website that does not make a good impression. With that in mind, if you are going to go with a template, stick to the template. It is better to have a generic looking website than a poorly designed one.
- These templates are hard to customize. You will be able to change pictures and colors, but any change that will make your site unique requires design and/or coding knowledge.
Moral of the story is that your website is a really important part of your business so at the very least shop around for designers before deciding to do it yourself. Get a couple of quotes and then make an informed decision. I've had many clients come to me to fix the sites they created themselves which ends up being more expensive.
If you'd like to talk about your web design needs, feel free to leave me a message, and I will be happy to advise you.
In the meantime, I encourage you to check out my work and see if you get inspired :)
* Want to talk about your design needs? Click here to leave me a message!
* Follow me on Instagram for all kinds of ideas and inspiration.
@jaslenidesigns and @jasleniart
#jasleni #jaslenidesigns #graphicdesign #GraphicDesigner #webdesign #design #designer #logodesign #designed #diy #doityourself #websitedesign #designerinct #designerinconnecticut #customwebsite #customwebdesign #hireagraphicdesigner #smallbusiness #webdesign #graphicdesignerinct #graphicdesign #jasleni #jaslenidesigns #customwebsite #diy #doityourself